The holidays are here, and we know it can be challenging to stay on track with healthy eating this time of year! These protein packed energy bars taste amazing, and will leave you feeling amazing too! Check out the recipe below, and join us for our Centerbarty Saturday December 17th, when we will have them waiting for you after class! Enjoy!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats, finely ground; or 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, half finely ground and half finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted, half finely ground and half finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried papaya, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup melting chocolate (for drizzling)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place dates in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a simmer. Drain reserving cooking water. Puree dates in a food processor with honey and 1/4 cup of reserved cooking water until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Mix oats or quinoa flakes, nuts, papaya, cherries, cranberries, bran, flaxseed, wheat germ, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix in date puree. The mixture should be moist enough to hold together. If necessary, add more cooking water until the mixture holds. Press mixture into pan.
- Bake until center is firm and edges are golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
4. Melt chocolate and drizzle pan using a fork or spoon. Cut into 16 bars.
Janet is the founder of CenterBarre, lead instructor, and the designer of the CenterBarre workout.